Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 7--Recalibrating

First weight-in tonight, after our initial weigh-in, and I was so excited to get on that scale and see what I lost.

Wait, let me back up. I've been sneaking my own weigh-ins at home and after busting my ass (literally!) all week I wasn't seeing any changes. I was discouraged and yet not. You see, I know I'm making a difference in my life. I know by me going to the gym regularly and getting out there and moving I've made a huge change for the better. That alone is a great victory.  But not seeing a weight loss is disconcerning. Shouldn't I be losing weight if I'm sweating everyday?

The answer is yes. And I have.

I went to the meeting tonight telling myself that even if it's one pound I'm happy because I made changes. And I almost had myself convinced it was good enough. I was satisfied with that. Or so I thought.

Tonight's weight: 229lb.

That's a 3 pound loss! I should be ecstatic right? But for some reason I'm not. All I can think about is what I could have done different and what I need to do different this week.

So this is what I'm doing different:

1. Weight Watchers is great. Yes, I have already lost weight. But WW does not have you counting calories and shouldn't you count calories? That's the formula for weight loss: burn more calories then you consume.  Now, I can assume that since I'm consuming a reasonable ratio of fat/carbs/fiber/protein, the calorie count won't be too high. And that is the case. But I'm an information whore, I want to know how many calories I'm eating a day. So, starting tomorrow I'm counting calories along with the WW points. I'll use the next week as an experiement and see how it all pans out.

2. Eating those WW points and calories. I'm not doing it. I consistantly have 3-8 points left at the end of the night and I just don't see if it's 8pm and I have 5 points left I should shove something into my mouth to account for that. How is that good? So, my next goal for the week is planning out my meals and calories/WW points for the day. I'm even being proactive about it:

These are Special K Multigrain Crackers, Savory Herb flavor.
I've seperated a weeks worth, writing the WW point value on the left
and the calorie count on the right.
Snacks like these are going to be easily within reach and taken with me if I'm going anywhere. I'm buying a food bag to carry with me when I'm out so I can eat a small snack whenever I need to. I have to do this. HAVE TO.

3. Sleep. Ugh. Still not getting enough. I'm doing better, getting to bed before midnight now--yay! another little victory!--but it's still not enough sleep. On a school night that's only 6 1/2 hours. I need to shoot for 7 hours consistantly this week. That's my goal.

4. Exercise. No adjustments here. My partner in crime is working my ass--and arms, legs, shoulders, and stomach--and I have been in crazy pain but have felt crazy good.

All in all, I should be proud of myself for everything I've achieved this week. And I am... really. But I think I need to do some adjustments and maybe next week will be an even better week.

Day 7... Done.
Week 1... Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment